Friday, March 16, 2007

ONE

Last night, my parents went out on a date for their anniversary, and I had to have a babysitter. Normally my parents would take me with them, but they told me that I am a big girl now and I should be able to handle being with a babysitter. I was SO scared. The whole afternoon before the babysitter got there I worried. I worried that the new babysitter would be mean like my kindergarten teacher Mrs. Norris. I worried that I would accidently do something that would make her mad and that she would hate me forever or take away one of my toys. I thought about it so much that eventually I decided that I would just sit the entire night. That way, nothing I said or did would make my new babysitter mad.
When the doorbell rang, I almost screamed. I heard my mom open the door and speak to the babysitter, and I decided to take my position on the couch with my mouth shut. My mom called my name so I could come meet the babysitter, but I quietly stayed where I was. After calling my name about three times with no response, my mom walked into the living room with the babysitter behind her. My mom asked me why I was sitting on the couch and why i wasn't talking, but, as I had vowed, I kept my mouth shut. Eventually she gave up and proceeded to introduce the babysitter. She told me that the babysitter's name was Maddy. I looked at Maddy for a long time. She was old. Her face looked tough and scary, but when I looked her in the eyes, I could tell that she was nice. This woman needs me, I thought. So I opened my mouth.
"I'm Isabelle," I said.